Saturday, March 4, 2017

ABCs of My Vinyl Collection (Letter E, Part 1)

Forgoing the obvious hits (or hit, depending on where you reside) for a favorite from Australia's the Easybeats. They had some great songs in 1965 and 1966, but I think the lads misplaced their compass after that. The Easybeats were, first and foremost, a rock band, and much of their work veered into soft schmaltz in the latter part of the decade. It's not surprising that by 1969 the Easybeats had called it quits. There were exceptions during those less rewarding years, and this is one of them.

"Falling Off the Edge of the World" was a 1967 single of little commercial consequence. In fact, it didn't chart anywhere, but I have always found it to be a dramatic heartbreaker that mixed the band's harder and softer sides to perfection. I was not alone. Lou Reed played this one every night on the jukebox at Max's Kansas City, telling legendary rock writer Lilian Roxon it was "one of the most beautiful ballads ever made." Here's a bit of the lyrics. Clearly, this storyteller is in a dark place. More from the rather slim letter E next time.

The love that was in your smile
When I married you isn't there now,
And even the children see
That you don't look respectable now

Falling off the edge of the world
Seeing you with him
If I let you win I die

You dragged out the soul in me
And you clawed and you twisted it 'round
But I still feel love for you
Though my face has been ground to the ground

"Falling Off the Edge of the World"

6 comments:

The Swede said...

I wasn't familiar with this one, but it certainly hits home doesn't it?

C said...

I wasn't familiar with this either, so thank you. A very classy track.

George said...

Is that the end of the "Ds" then? I was expecting a single or two from a double-named early 80s New Romantic group.....

Brian said...

You caught me, George. Couldn't bring myself to do it. I know of at least two friendships (one in Scotland and one in Wales) that I would lose if I dusted those off. Skipped quite a fair number in the D section, actually, but none as embarrassing as that one.

George said...

Are we being misled here? I thought the ABCs of my vinyl collection would be all of them? So now, of course, I'm curious about the ones that got away.........

Brian said...

George, Almost all of the bands that were skipped because I didn't want to take the time to transfer them and/or didn't have anything to say. Don't worry. There are plenty of embarrassing ones that will appear on these pages. In fact, there have already been a few.